top of page

St. John's West Toronto

100th Anniversary

at 288 Humbersode Avenue


A.C. Miles, B.A.

Full Name
Years of Service at St. John's

Notes,, Biographical Information

Arthur Chipman Miles

West Toronto Junction was expanding rapidly as a railroad centre and in 1887 St. John’s became a separate parish with Rev. A. C. Miles as the first rector. Plans were laid for the erection of a larger church and on January 26, 1890, the new brick church seating 350 was opened. The new church cost $8,737 and the frame building became the Church Hall.

Miles, Arthur Chipman. 1861-1915 Born Milwaukee, Wisconsin, 7 January 1861, son of Frederick Billing (1833-91) and Ella Victoria (Smith) (1837-1904) Miles.

BA University College, Toronto, 1884.

Wycliffe College, Toronto, 1885.

Deacon 26 July 1885; priest 1886 (Toronto).

1885-8 missionary at Elmvale with Waverley and Allenwood.

27 June 1888 married Jessie Louisa Hamilton (1856-1925) in Collingwood.

1888-93 first rector of St John, West Toronto Junction.

1893-8 missionary at Mulmur West.

1898 missionary at Creemore.

1914 rector of Sunderland and West Brock.

Died 16 May 1915.

information gathered from various sources

bottom of page