R. MacNamara, L.Th.

R. MacNamara, L.Th.

1917 - 1935

The Major, as he was affectionately know to many, came to St. John’s as rector when another major change was taking place in the "Junction", now known as Ward 7 and part of Toronto. Bloor St. had been opened up as a main traffic artery and many new homes had been built south and west of the older area. The church was now on the edge of the parish rather than in the centre. After much prayer and discussion the present rectory was erected on High Park Ave. and a site for a church purchased at the corner of Quebec and Humberside — the geographical centre of the parish. The corner stone of the new church was laid May 5, 1923, by Bishop Sweeney and the church opened on November 4 of the same year. After much prayer and discussion the present rectory was erected on High Park Ave. and a site for a church purchased at the corner of Quebec and Humberside — the geographical centre of the parish. The corner stone of the new church was laid May 5, 1923, by Bishop Sweeney and the church opened on November 4 of the same year. After much prayer and discussion the present rectory was erected on High Park Ave. and a site for a church purchased at the corner of Quebec and Humberside — the geographical centre of the parish. The corner stone of the new church was laid May 5, 1923, by Bishop Sweeney and the church opened on November 4 of the same year.